Home
Advice

Comics

Animation

Goodies

Big To Do
MORE...
About Us

Archive
“Saving Love Lives The World Over!” e-mail e-mail to a friend in need

August 10, 2012

Scone Boy Rides Again

Filed under: Advice — posted by Breakup Girl @ 8:21 am

A Bonus Predicament from November 2, 1998

Dear Breakup Girl,

Thank you so much for answering my letter last week. Actually, when you wrote the “Friends to Lovers” column the week after I sent it, I sort of figured that it applied to me, so that you’d already responded, and I realized I should consider taking the advice in that column. There hasn’t been any closure to the story yet, but I just wanted to answer the very insightful points you brought up:

>1. “We ended up pretty much revealing our feelings
> for each other.” Pretty much? Was this revelation,
> on her part, a sober, solid, lucid statement of
> fact/lust? Or, perhaps, did you make the first
> confession, and then go on to inflate her
> Chianti-enhanced, engagement-jittery being-nice
> rejoinder

What I meant is, we kissed that night. Trust me, I always recheck audio tracks — as you noticed, I read texts very closely (I used to think this tendency was beneficial), and it was definitely her who made the first confession. I was more surprised than anybody that the subject ever came up. (OK, perhaps there was a small Chianti element, but I know I was completely avoiding the topic, for fear of jeopardizing our friendship.)

> The voice of caution, however, would like to note
> that BG does not hear from you anywhere near the
> level of love-or-die urgency she did from G. It’s not
> even at the level of publish or perish.

No, it’s love or die all right. It is also certainly at the level of publish or perish, as in *if she’s not there I don’t know if I’ll be able to survive school anymore.* I was just trying to tone down the emotion so that I could right a reasonably clear and concise message. You should have seen me dejected and pouting for about two months after she left for the summer. (My friends all thought I was like that character in Swingers, except I never broke out of it.) The Guy at the End of the Bar is right about this one. But I haven’t had a chance recently to take anyone’s advice. Here’s a brief update, showing that things are, if anything, even more unclear now than when I wrote you (at least to me):

The other weekend was gorgeous, and I called her to see if she wanted to do something. Unfortunately, her fiance was in town (big faux pas on my part). Somehow, we ended up going out for the afternoon; he didn’t come along. It was very hard to understand how this happened (and I wasn’t about to ask). A few days later, she called me and we talked and tentatively set something up for this weekend — assuming I got out from under all the work I had — but she stood me up, meaning she never called to follow up. (She wasn’t there when I finally gave up and tried to call her.) I still don’t know what happened. (And I was rather upset.) She’s never stood me up before, so I’m a little scared that for some reason our friendship is Over and I’m the last to find out, but the more rational part of me says that that would be an over-hasty conclusion, and that it’s really just another set of very confusing signals I’m getting.

Update within an update: I called her last night, she seemed happy to hear from me, and she said that this past weekend a relative of her fiance had been in town, which seems to be why Saturday didn’t work out. That and the fact that she was sending out job applications, which was a discomforting reminder that this is, ultimately, a transient lifestyle.

So, I’m still confused about all this, but I have gotten some good pointers on what to do about it. Thanks for your help, and I hope to let you know how it turns out.

Also, I’ve declared a unilateral moratorium on baked goods.

— (Former) Scone Boy


Dear FSB,

Okay, I’m glad to hear that you’ve stepped away fom the pastry flour, but I’m not glad to hear that you sidestepped your true angst in the interest of being “clear and concise.” breakupgirl.net is where you DON’T have to rein it in, you guys. If Duderino had consciously/disingenuously toned it down, I’d never have gotten his number. See, I rarely need to read between y’all’s lines. And I don’t really like to take that liberty. I generally trust that you will say what you need to say and tell me what I need to know. I try to follow this brilliant adage from Suzette Hayden Elgin, Ph.D., “If your partner says ‘The toaster talked to me,’ the correct response is, ‘What did it say?'” So you guys: don’t dis-serve yourselves. Tell me the whole big messy confessional; doesn’t have to be long, just has to be true. That way I’ll give you whole advice. Okay?

So. While Breakup Girl’s reading may not have been close enough, some of yours is indeed too close. At this point you are driving yourself nuts analyzing the phone silence and vocal tones of someone who — yes, kissed you — but who is also: engaged. Yes, she may be confused, and yes, she may very well have feelings for you. AND, if there’s any time those pesky non-monogamous feelings are going to grope their way to the top, it’s when she’s fixing to walk her way down that way-monogamous aisle. If you are not willing to make your plea on bended knee, Guy at the End of the Bar style, you have got to back off. DO IT FOR YOU. And if that is as hard as I imagine it will be, it’s officially okay to whip up some gingerbread, or at least some toaster pop-tarts. FOR YOU.

Love,
Breakup Girl

No Comments »

  1. Your way of describing everything in this piece of writing is truly good, all be
    able to without difficulty know it, Thanks
    a lot.

    Comment by https://pt.wikipedia.org/ — July 18, 2017 @ 6:34 pm

  2. Thank you for any other great article. The place else could anybody
    get that kind of information in such an ideal way of writing?
    I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m
    on the look for such info.

    Comment by Lelio Vieira Carneiro Junior — July 18, 2017 @ 10:36 pm

  3. What i don’t understood is in truth how you’re no longer really much
    more neatly-favored than you might be right now. You’re so intelligent.
    You already know therefore considerably relating to this subject,
    made me for my part believe it from numerous varied angles.

    Its like men and women are not involved except it is one thing to do with Woman gaga!
    Your own stuffs nice. At all times maintain it up!

    Comment by Cindy — July 19, 2017 @ 10:36 pm

  4. It’s really a cool and useful piece of info. I’m satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us.

    Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

    Comment by music playing gadgets — July 20, 2017 @ 12:02 am

  5. My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to be exactly what I’m looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content for you personally?
    I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on a few of the subjects you write about
    here. Again, awesome site!

    Comment by Georges Sadala — July 20, 2017 @ 2:36 am

  6. I am genuinely thankful to the owner of this website who
    has shared this fantastic article at at this place.

    Comment by Kristina — July 22, 2017 @ 6:54 pm

  7. Thank you, I have recently been searching for information about this topic for a while and yours is the best I have came upon till now.

    But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure in regards
    to the supply?

    Comment by Lelio Vieira Carneiro Junior — July 23, 2017 @ 11:26 am

  8. Excellent post. I am going through a few of these issues as well..

    Comment by Georges Sadala Rihan — July 24, 2017 @ 2:20 pm

  9. wh0cd908996 generic lasix generic triamterene

    Comment by Alfredzelry — July 24, 2017 @ 2:57 pm

  10. Simply want to say your article is as astounding. The clearness to your submit is just spectacular and that i can suppose
    you’re a professional on this subject. Fine along with your permission allow
    me to snatch your feed to keep updated with drawing close post.

    Thanks one million and please keep up the rewarding work.

    Comment by Georges Sadala Rihan — July 25, 2017 @ 8:36 am

  11. Hey there would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m planning to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a difficult time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.

    The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most
    blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to
    ask!

    Comment by www.qzhinang.com — July 25, 2017 @ 2:32 pm

  12. I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your site.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much
    more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more
    often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Excellent work!

    Comment by Gertrude — July 25, 2017 @ 9:35 pm

  13. wh0cd704810 clonidine 0.2mg tablets

    Comment by CharlesBeece — July 26, 2017 @ 1:25 pm

  14. Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found a sea shell
    and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She
    placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

    Comment by Glam Seamless — July 27, 2017 @ 5:57 am

  15. Thanks for the good writeup. It in fact used to
    be a amusement account it. Look advanced to more introduced agreeable from you!
    However, how can we keep in touch?

    Comment by Alberta — July 27, 2017 @ 9:18 pm

  16. wh0cd823132 Acyclovir Prescription

    Comment by CharlesBeece — July 27, 2017 @ 11:23 pm

  17. Have you ever considered about including a little bit
    more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and
    everything. Nevertheless think of if you added some great photos or video clips to
    give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with
    images and clips, this blog could undeniably be one of the greatest in its
    field. Wonderful blog!

    Comment by arashshirmohammadi.ir — July 28, 2017 @ 3:55 pm

  18. Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot drop, just so she can be
    a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she
    has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I had to
    share it with someone!

    Comment by Roberta — July 29, 2017 @ 3:59 am

  19. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.

    Did you design this website yourself or did you hire
    someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out
    where u got this from. thanks

    Comment by www.izmirescortajansi.com — August 3, 2017 @ 12:19 am

  20. I have been exploring for a little for any
    high quality articles or blog posts on this kind
    of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site.
    Studying this information So i am glad to exhibit that I have an incredibly
    just right uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed.

    I such a lot certainly will make certain to don?t omit
    this website and provides it a glance on a continuing basis.

    Comment by Lelio Vieira Carneiro Junior — August 4, 2017 @ 3:20 am

  21. This page certainly has all of the information and facts I needed concerning this subject
    and didn’t know who to ask.

    Comment by former chief operating — August 4, 2017 @ 11:41 pm

  22. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Many thanks, However I am
    encountering difficulties with your RSS. I don’t know the reason why
    I can’t join it. Is there anybody else getting the same RSS
    issues? Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!

    Comment by www.wedsite.info — August 5, 2017 @ 8:44 pm

  23. A motivating discussion is definitely worth comment. I do believe that you should publish more on this topic,
    it might not be a taboo subject but generally
    people don’t talk about such subjects. To the next!
    Many thanks!!

    Comment by Otto — August 6, 2017 @ 3:28 pm

  24. hello!,I like your writing so much! share we communicate extra about your post on AOL?
    I require an expert on this space to solve my problem.
    May be that is you! Looking forward to look you.

    Comment by Gavin — August 8, 2017 @ 1:04 am

  25. Hello all, here every one is sharing these experience, so
    it’s pleasant to read this weblog, and I
    used to go to see this blog everyday.

    Comment by https://to.ly/1bzLR — August 8, 2017 @ 3:27 pm

  26. This is a topic which is close to my heart… Thank you! Where are your contact details though?

    Comment by tercio borlenghi jr — August 10, 2017 @ 2:09 am

  27. This is really fascinating, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your
    feed and look ahead to in the hunt for more of your fantastic post.
    Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

    Comment by James Frazer Mann — August 17, 2017 @ 3:02 pm

  28. When someone writes an post he/she keeps the plan of a user in his/her mind that how a user
    can know it. Thus that’s why this article is outstdanding.

    Thanks!

    Comment by Bettina — August 20, 2017 @ 2:41 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

**Mean or otherwise out-of-line comments will be deleted. That’s just how we roll.

[breakupgirl.net]

blog | advice | comics | animation | goodies | to do | archive | about us

Breakup Girl created by Lynn Harris & Chris Kalb
© 2008 Just Friends Productions, Inc.
| privacy policy
Cool Aid!

Important Breakup Girl Maxim:
Breakup Girl Sez

MORE COMICS...

Powered by WordPress